qrcode

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Mel Gibson's Anti-Semitic Dunken Rant

In my morning newspaper, I learned that Jewish suspicions about Mel Gibson's intentions in the making "The Passion of Christ" were well-founded as he engaged in an out-of-control rant upon being stopped for drunk driving. Being a Chosen One, i.e., an American Celebrity, he must have felt he had the right to object to beeing treated as if he were a regular citizen. Gibson did not elaborate on his misdeeds but the web site TMZ.com did that on his behalf. Gibson was right to be insensensed at being treated as a common citizen (of what? The USA or Australia? -- I vote for "Australia") for he was not even driving double the speed limit, going only 87 mph in a 45 mph zone. I'm sure we are all feeling his pain. You can go to this LA County Sheriff's page and enter "Gibson" for the last name and "Mel" for the first and up will pop his arrest record. A click on this will give you a page you can print and frame and put it up next to your favorite head shot of Mel.

There were plenty of expletives as well as anti-Semitic remarks in his rant and he is quoted as saying "I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from.." at the TMZ.com site. We can divide his linguistic excesses into two sorts -- the use of taboo expressions like "fuck" and the utterance of sentences with propositional content. It is not uncommon for persons suffering from senility, Tourette's syndrome, drugs (hospital administered after surgery, for instance), and drunkenness, etc to utter such things spontaneiously. I have tried to Google up some information about taboo words and senility to find sources for my long held belief -- I heard this first in college -- that socially proper old women who never once uttered a profanity in anyone's hearing before going senile would start coming up with taboo expressions. They will, of course, have heard them even though they had not voluntarily used them.

The title URL of this blog has Mel saying
According to TMZ.com, Gibson called the arresting deputy a "motherf---ker," whom he was going to "f--k" on account of "he [Gibson] 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me [the deputy]."
Here we have propositional content. Gibson made a threat against the deputy. There ought to be consequences for that but their probably won't.

Gibson went on to say, according to TMZ.com
Later, the Website reported, Gibson ranted about the "f--king Jews," who "are responsible for all the wars in the world," and asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?" (Gibson, who helped build a Catholic church in Malibu, is not.)
Here again we have propositional content, not the spontaneous utterance of a "fuck" or "motherfucking." He has asserted that the fucking Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world. I wonder if that includes the Japanese invasion of Korea and China?

I have an answer for his plaintive quest to understand "where those vicious words came from." You are a fucking anti-Semite with no respect for the law or those who enforce it and see the latter as so socially beneath you that you feel you can crush them like a bug. I hope that helps you out, Mel. Please understand that anti-Semitic propositional content like this does not pop up spontaneously in normal people's drunken rants unless it was already there in their heads.

Senile people and people suffering Tourette's syndrome, but not drunks and persons under the influence of powerful pain relievers get a free pass for any and all expletives. Utterances with anti-Black, anti-Arab, anti-Jewish, etc. propositional content don't pop up spontaneously and when they do the people who do them do not get a free pass. I seem to have said a bad word while under the influence of post-surgical pain relievers when a nurse woke me up to take my "vitals" and I did not give myself a free pass and it shames me even today, some 12 years later. I'm not going to tell you about it even though how I learned about it is very funny.

(I used a feature of the Google toolbar that lets me blog about a page I am viewing. It seemed not to be working but it outdid itself by posting this twice.

Mel Gibson "Out of Control" - Yahoo! News

Tweet This!

22 Comments:

Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

It's kind of sad. Up until now, Gibson wasn't really known for crazy celebrity antics. People just speculated that he was anti-Semitic.

(However, I don't believe that The Passion was meant to be anti-Semitic, as the majority of people present at the crucifixion of Christ were Jews--showing any other story would have been false. Is it anti-German to make any movie about WWII?)

This is really a sad day. Who's next? Tom Hanks?

11:58 AM

 
Blogger concerned citizen said...

LG & Kelly,
gee whiz, your arguments are both so predictable. Excuse my bloggers tourettes, but, who the fuck cares what Mel Gibson thinks?

The left takes a stance, the right takes a stance. One side wants to "crucify" him, the other wants to turn him into a "god".

Gosh, the guy makes a movie that gets the religious right all gaga, pisses off some Jews, get's drunk & goes on a rant, that's all.

1:40 PM

 
Blogger The Language Guy said...

Hum. Life is that simple, is it? Guys just get drunk and do dumb stuff and it doesn't mean anything? How about, guys will be guys.

2:40 PM

 
Blogger Mr K said...

Mel Gibson is a racist. You simply don't say that kind of crap if you are not racist.... Pure and simple. I never liked the guy anyway. Although I guess Maverick was alright...

6:14 PM

 
Blogger concerned citizen said...

My point is that everyone seems to be making this out to be what they want it to be. I think it's being blown out of proportion.

& No, it's more like, "Guys will get drunk & act like asses."

6:40 PM

 
Blogger IbaDaiRon said...

Unfortunately, L>T, I think what Gibson thinks is relevant due to our current cult of celebrity worship. (Just like Tom Cruise's Scientology-based anti-psychiatry rants.) I would like to believe that people think enough for themselves that they won't be swayed by such silliness; however, I am not optimistic.

TPoTC, besides being an extremely flawed movie, is a blantant piece of Catholic propoganda. As for the anti-Semiticism, I've felt all along that the screenplay would be valuable piece of evidence for deciding either way, but it has not and will not be made available. (I've confirmed that this is official policy through contacting William J. Fulco, the expert who created the pseudo-Aramaic used by Yeshu'ah and the rest in the movie.) Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I can't help but wonder why Gibson & co. would not want the script translated and made available. (For sale. God in His Multiple Personages knows they've shown no qualms about taking advantage of every other form of marketing! Just check out some of the links on the official movie website. [Haven't checked lately, assuming it's still up.])

Until we learn to keep our noses out of the personal lives of celebrities and to ignore their (often radical and fringe) political and other views, this sort of silliness will continue to be news. (heavy sigh)

7:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Samll point. Gibson was bornin New York. Although he lived here for a long time he never took Australian citizenship. He's all yours.

8:26 AM

 
Blogger The Language Guy said...

L>T, you are completely missing the point. It is how you go about being an ass when drunk that matters? Do you kill someone while driving. Do you resist arrest when caught? Do you engage in racist rants having nothing whatever to the incident? These are very telling about the character of a person and in this case we have a racist rant that dovetails exactly with a movie the guy produced and directed and, I believe. also fully financed on his own (that means created all by himself) that was widely regarded as reinforcing the "Jews killed Christ" myth that fueled the European pogroms.

8:34 AM

 
Blogger IbaDaiRon said...

Ah, but dear Anonymous, it's the formative teen years that count, no? :)

More important than country of residence was the home environment in this case though, I'll wager.

(Nice feint, by the way.)

The "Christian" obsession with Jews is as silly as the jealousy of any vulgar rabble directed at similar elitist groups. Let's face it, "Christians" are devotional lightweights who couldn't live up to the strictures of the scriptures (the Covenant laws). Or face going under the knife. Faith-Schmaith, it's all just Paulian obfuscation and mystification. You can find parallel developments in Buddhism (Amidism).

Anyway, anything serves to feed to hate fire, after all. "Tell me what you hate...."

9:18 AM

 
Blogger concerned citizen said...

nontheless, in purusing the blogsphere since "Mel Gibson" became big news, I have observed that: the leaning left tend take your politically correct left stance & the kellys of the blog world tend to take his.
I am correct in saying your arguments are predicable.
I think what makes this such a big deal is it's a politics/religion issue.

I agree with this definition of politics, "Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles."

Oh hey, the definition works equally well for religion, too!
Throw in some references to Hitler or nazism (kelly makes reference to WWII & you brought up the European pogroms.)predicable.
This is my point.

For the record; Mel Gibson does sound like a drunken, racist 'redneck' bum to me, also. Living in a backwoods community in Oregon, I reconize the type.

11:23 AM

 
Blogger The Language Guy said...

L>T, it is easy after the fact to say that something I or someone else said was "predictable" but the fact is you didn't predict it before hand so it is a totally empty, self-aggrandizing (you are smarter than the rest of us who are so very predictable) claim.

11:28 AM

 
Blogger concerned citizen said...

I didn't say I predicted your argument. I said your arguments were predictable. (meaning in nature)

If I'd claimed to have predicted your particular argument, that would be one thing, but I didn't.

By the way, I predicted you'd say that!
(now, that's self-aggrandizing I think, the word is new to me)

11:55 AM

 
Blogger concerned citizen said...

self-aggrandizing-the act or practice of enhancing or exaggerating ones own importance, power or reputation.
synonyms-boastful, braggert, bragging, braggy, cock-a-hoop(?), crowing.

Oh dear, I don't think I was quite that bad, was I?

12:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not obsessed with Jews.

11:03 PM

 
Blogger The Language Guy said...

pf, I was beginning to wonder if I was so obsessed but then I realized that I tend to blog on topics in the news and tend to take the side of the group that is being demonized, as Israel is now. One deomonized group I assist in demonizing is the set of all religious fanatics.

8:51 AM

 
Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

LG, I'd love to join you in demonizing all fanatics, period, religious or otherwise. I get the feeling, though, that our definitions of a religious fanatic may differ.

9:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can go and demonize all you want. I don't like religious fanatics or political fanatics either. As far as my devotion goes, well, all I can say is that you don't know my life. I don't need a pastor to stand behind a pulpit every Sunday guiding me into the paths of "righteousness" according to some new-age Christian doctrine that is meant to define the "true" Christian's philosophical belief system. I can go on talking about this, but nothing I say is going to matter to you anyway. I'm not going to convince you of anything, I'm sure.

I believe what I want to believe and the way I want to believe it. I'm not trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking. I'm not afraid to speak my mind and put my ideas and opinions out in the open. I try to keep my political opinions to myself, but I'm not afraid to defend my Christian beliefs and the way that I understand Christianity. So maybe it's true that you see me as a social parasite. Understand though that not all Christians are like-minded.

3:33 PM

 
Blogger The Language Guy said...

pf, I believe we have a failure to communicate. When I say "fanatic" I don't mean strong believer. I should have said "fundamentalist religious zealot." From what you say, I doubt that that includes you.

5:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool. No offense taken. You've got a good blog. BTW, did you ever notice that spelling offense with a "c", as in offence, is also a correct spelling for the word and means the same thing? See, it's things like that that make the English language such a great language.

3:13 AM

 
Blogger demondoll said...

I am not an expert on this subject, but I think Gibson belongs to a splinter group that doesn't align itself with Roman Catholicism. It broke away after VaticanII. It doesn't much matter, because Gibson is a foul excuse of a human no matter what his affiliations. Or maybe they are what formed his twisted views.

1:45 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

seems the cop was a jew rather perceptive me thinks!

12:45 AM

 
Blogger Obscurely Diverse said...

Well, it has been nearly 4 years since this post, and the beloved bastard Mel Gibson has made yet another publicized rant that labeled him as not only a racist, but a sexist.

Damn, I heard the recent mini-rant in addition to the one spoke about on this post, and it seemed rather mild to me. It's a good thing I'm not famous because those "celebrity" folks seem to get in trouble when they start honestly expressing themselves - whether they're drunk or not.

Personally, I can't stand all of the politically correct hogwash, fictitious poppycock, senseless jargon, and all the other bull-shit and vague verbiage that gets hyped-up amid certain low-life celebrities... So sometimes, it's nice to see some of them go off on a rant and spew out things that are not so politically correct.

Imbecilic Repellent

8:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home